Question for you Mark - why did you quit coffee? If you were drinking too much, one solution would be to cut down how much you are drinking. On some level coffee drinking is actually good for you. Personally I love about 1/2 cup of coffee per day.
Are you sure you are sleeping a lot? You may think you are getting good sleep and enough of it, but your quality of sleep may be lacking. You may not be getting that that deep REM Sleep and that is what you need. Are you getting up in the middle of night to go to the bathroom? Another answer might be sleep apnea. This occurs when you briefly stop breathing at night. You might need a sleep study to determine if this is why you are still tired when you wake up.
**Some Simple Things you Can Change…
- Check your pillow and your mattress quality to make sure it is supportive enough.
- Remove electronics from your bedroom.
- Don’t eat so close to bed time or work out late either.
- Try breathing exercises before bed or meditation.
- Eliminate Alcohol right before bed if possible
Finally Mark, I want to mention one more thing. When was the last time you had a full check up by your Doctor? I am talking about a check of all your systems, and blood work. It doesn't hurt. I would highly recommend this as well.
- For example they can check your iron levels and check for anemia.
- Also, are you stressed during the day, and thinking about stuff at night?
- Get your thyroid checked. T3 and T4 Levels via a simple blood test. Low thyroid activity can cause you to have a feeling of tiredness (hypothyroidism)
Hope this helps Mark and I wish you better sleep where you wake refreshed - with or without the coffee during the day.