I think that the ideal size of pillow is dependent on the person that is using the pillow. At Arc4life we go by a person’s height and weight. We would not recommend a person that is 6′2 to buy a smaller size pillow. Similarly, we would not recommend a 4′9″ petite woman to buy a large pillow. If the pillow is too small, then you are not getting the right support for your neck. If the pillow is too big, your head and neck will be pushed forward creating forward head posture. This means waking up with a stiff neck, neck pain and muscle spasms. It’s also harder to fall asleep on a neck pillow that is not the right size. Here is an example of how to choose the right pillow size. For someone who is buying a neck pillow because of neck pain, numbness and tingling, weakness, stiff neck, shoulder pain, the right size of pillow becomes even more vital.
Here is a rough indicator of size of pillow that you should be ordering. There are always exceptions to these rules - and I will mention those after:
- 4 ft- 5′0, petite framed person, children, teens- order a smaller pillow. For example: The arc4life traction pillow small. Dimensions are 20″x15.
- 5′1–5′11, medium frame- order a standard size pillow. For example: The TriCore Cervical Support Orthopedic neck pillow that has dimensions of 24″x16″
- Over 6′0- larger frame, someone built like a football player, someone with broad shoulders - Order a larger pillow. For example: The arc4life linear gravity pillow in the large size which has dimensions of 28″x17″.
- If you generally like a larger pillow, order one size up. So for example, you are 5′1 and weigh 140 lbs and you like larger pillows. Consider getting a medium pillow, not a small. Another example is if you are a 6′0 tall person but like to sleep on a standard pillow, order a medium size pillow.
- If you have a short neck, order a smaller pillow as well.
- Consider a pillow’s height as well when ordering.
- Consider a pillows’ firmness as well. You can usually buy a pillow in a soft support or a firm support level. An example is the BS cervical support pillow that comes in two levels of support.